Platform V Functions
English version of the documentation is under development.
Platform V Functions is the FaaS (Functions-as-a-Service) platform which allows developing serverless apps or functions.
Function means part of the code launched in a cloud as an independent app, which performs a function of the server. For example, you can:
- adjust a function to make it process incoming HTTP requests
- call a function using API in other apps
- adjust a function to make it activated in case of events such as changes of data in the database or messages appearing in a message queue.
Deployed functions support both synchronous and asynchronous function calls.
Platform V Functions allows minimizing the time spent on creating new functions, and ensures automated scaling for optimal use of available resources depending on the load. You only need to provide an application code in one of supported programming languages.
When are functions used?
Functions are perfectly suitable for scenarios where application logic in the source code of an app is your main focus.
Platform V Functions provides for automatic compilation, assembly and deployment of functions in a cloud. Monitoring of state and logging of function events are available.
It is important to take into account that the platform limits flexibility. For instance, you cannot personalize the function execution environment or monitor particular function copies launched on a particular server.
Function use examples:
- HTTP REST APIs and web apps: lightweight front-end and back-end microservices, chatbots, virtual document flow robots
- IoT sensor data: quick response to small event flows
- Back-end for mobile apps: apps with an inconsistent load profile (when state changes sharply from an idle mode to high load)
- Stream processing: enrichment with information (Augmented Reality). Picture preview generation when loading a photo, identification of objects in a videostream
- Scheduled and batch tasks: lazy evaluation in superclusters (ML, AI). News and marketing mailing
- Processing of events from the database: ETL of databases when events related to file import occur
If you use Platform V Functions for the first time, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with our documentation as follows:
- Create your own function.
- Add a code performing a necessary action to the created function.
- Test the function. Platform V Functions provides an interface for making the tests simpler.
- During testing and using the function, you may need additional information on the function and its state.